Thursday, January 20, 2011

Friday Night Bistro

I had been craving something a little richer so I decided to do a simple bistro meal with steak and au gratin potatoes last Friday night. I cooked the strips in my cast iron skillet to medium rare with a nice pepper crust on them. It would probably have been more bistro like to make the au poivre sauce, but I decided to skip it. I topped the steak with bleu cheese and microgreens.
I stayed pretty traditional with the potatoes, using an aged gruyere and vermont cheddar. I also added chives to them and some cream so they would have a little sauce. I used Yukon Gold's and they seemed to melt into each other while baking.

I really love mushrooms of all kind. For this dish I simply sauteed up some crimini's and added a balsalmic glaze that I brought back from Italy. The glaze is really thick and cooks down pretty well. They were a nice complement to the steak.

1 comment:

  1. This may be "simple" for you but it looks so impressive! My mouth is watering. Thanks for sharing your photos! Yum!
    ~Jacquelyn

    ReplyDelete