Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Fresh White Fish with Herbed Lemon Sauce

With the blossoming of Spring, I've moved from some of the heavy dishes of the winter into a taste for something lighter and more delicate. I've stopped eating tuna, except on the rarest of occasions, even though it is my favorite protein. Likewise with Chilean Sea Bass (or, before marketing geniuses took hold, the Patagonian Tooth-fish).

So, in an effort to eat more sustainable seafood, I've been going with more local and bountiful species. I got this Lake Superior White Fish fresh from Whole Foods on Monday and made it that night. It was one of the best fish meals I've ever eaten. Seriously. Like, so good that I told myself that I could eat it every night. Anyway, here's how I made it:

I chose to bake the fish, but wanted a lot of crunch and flavor, so I added a coating before the breadcrumbs and topped it with a herbed lemon-butter sauce with shallots. I think that the spread on the fish is key to getting a lot of flavor onto the fish but not overwhelming the delicate nature of it.
I beat together: 2 eggs, 2 tbsp Horseradish, 1 tbsp Mayonnaise, Cayenne, Paprika, Salt and Pepper. Then I coated the fish with the mixture.
I then covered the fish with breadcrumbs and baked at 350. I wish I could tell you how long I baked it for, but I waited until it was about 155 degrees and took it out.


While the fish was baking I made the sauce. I melted 2 tbsp of butter and added a little olive oil to the pan along with the shallots. I then squeezed in the juice of one lemon. Once it was aromatic (4 minutes or so), I added a little blend of freshly chopped lavendar, rosemary and thyme. I topped the fish with this and it was so good. Not too heavy and just the right blend of acidity and base.

I served it with boiled red potatoes and steamed carrots. Overall a really great meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment