Thursday, April 14, 2011

Pozole & Cheese Enchiladas

I decided to make a nice Mexican dinner with the focus on Pozole, a fresh and hearty Mexican soup that dates back to the Aztecs. While I did riff on it a bit, I made sure to stay true using hominy and pork shoulder.
I started with a base of red pepper, onion, kale, garlic and jalapenos.

I added the onions, peppers and garlic to the pot to sweat and then added the kale along with 2 cans of crushed tomatoes and 1 can of diced tomatoes. From there, I let it simmer and cook down for about 2 hours.

During that time I started roasting the pork shoulder at about 250 degrees.

I chopped the pork and added lime to add some citrus flavor and freshness.


Just before serving I tossed in radishes and additional jalapenos.

I made onion and cheese enchiladas with sprouted corn tortillas, which really hit the spot as a side dish instead of the main course .

To make the enchiladas, I warmed the tortillas in some corn oil and then added enchilada sauce to them and stuffed each one with a fair share of onions and cheese, while also adding a piece of kale to each one. I then topped with more cheese and baked at 350.

No comments:

Post a Comment