Saturday, October 2, 2010

Stuffed Smoked Chicken Breast

I have been smoking chicken a lot lately and I was looking to take it a step further so I came up with this lovely dish. I met a guy at the farmers market that has his own home grown cherry wood so I bought a bucket of fresh chips. It is amazing how much of a difference you can notice when you use a fresh wood rather then the store bought bagged alternative. After setting the Big Green Egg to 325 degrees of indirect heat I placed the chicken and let it hang out in the cherry smoke for 30 minutes. Earlier that morning I used some roma tomatoes, black garlic, and onion from the market and whipped up a nice organic red sauce. I wanted to make a chunky hardy sauce that packed a nice punch of heat so I added a generous amount of red pepper flake. I stuffed these breasts with a creamy goat cheese mixture that countered the heat from the pepper flake. I used some fresh French Loire Valley goat cheese and mixed it with some homemade pesto and added chunks of Gold River Orchard walnuts. After the chicken was nicely smoked I cranked up the heat to 375 degrees and finished them off with some grill marks.

1 comment:

  1. Man, that looks amazing. It makes me almost crave chicken! Love how fresh it looks. If it's half as good as your chicken parm it might be worth flying to California for! I like what you did with that goat cheese, seems like it might take some of the tang out and balance out the fresh flavor of the whole dish.

    ReplyDelete