Friday, October 1, 2010

Last Night's Dinner: Osso Bucco


I made a nice slow cooked Osso Bucco last night. It was the first time I have cooked with shanks, but I was really impressed with the texture of the meat after it was braised for only 2 hours. After browning the shanks and sweating the mirepoix, I added red wine and tomatoes to the chicken stock, creating a succulent braising liquid. After 2 hours of simmering I placed the shanks on top of a long cooked polenta, which I enriched with Cypress Grove Truffle Tremor cheese. Cypress grove makes Humboldt Fog, which is one of my favorite cheeses, but I hadn't tried this truffle tremor. It's pretty ridiculous. The addition of the cheese to the polenta really took the dish over the top. I added a fresh gremolata to the plate (garlic/parsley/lemon zest) which helped cut through the richness.

No comments:

Post a Comment