Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Queso Fresca

So I decided that I was going to start making cheese...and then realized that it was a pretty messy process that took time even to make the quick stuff. I am sure that this is going to continue.

I first added 1 tablespoon of citric acid to a little water and stirred it in. I then added it to 1 gallon of whole milk which was on the burner. I started heating the milk on medium high until it reached 180 degrees. My mistake was that I should have warmed the milk on a different setting while continuously stirring, as it started to brown on the bottom of the pot while I was warming it.

After letting it sit for a little bit, the curds started to seperate from the whey and I was able to scoop them out onto a cheese cloth.

After I squeezed out the excess liquid, I molded the whey onto a plate and added fresh salt. It tasted really fresh and milky, but I could get a hint of the browned milk (which I love in puddings, but not my cheese it turns out).

No comments:

Post a Comment