Sunday, November 7, 2010

Tuna 3 Ways

Last week I bought Tuna for the first time in over 2 years. Although it is one of my favorite meats, I am just not convinced that it is sustainable and after watching a documentary on how they catch the tuna, I decided to stop eating it....Until last week. I was in the restaurant depot and they had a whole side of sushi grade yellowfin tuna. It was a ridiculously low price ($10/lb), so I got some. When I got home I noticed that it still had the skin on it, which was rough and kind of like a cats tongue. I decided to serve it three ways.

I rubbed a little mirin on the fish and rolled it in black sesame then seared it on the cast iron skillet. The inside was still cold when I served it. We had a mix of Bok Choy and Eggplant with a sweet chili sauce on the side.

For the main course, I made my favorite nagiri with two slices of a semi-hot thai pepper on the top. I also put wasabi under the fish to add a little kick. The rice was sushi rice with rice vinegar on it and fanned to cool it and make sure it would stick. I also made a tartar with a little chili sauce, fresh ginger, and scallions.

No comments:

Post a Comment